[Coco] ROM Options for Glenside IDE, and a 3D-Printed Case

Gene Heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Tue Aug 23 16:53:12 EDT 2016

On Tuesday 23 August 2016 14:18:57 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> Mark, 256 disks (35trk ssdd) is (I think) only about 40meg (correct me
> if I'm wrong). You just wouldn't have room for any other partitions
> for OS9.

Huh?  Well, not on that teeny a card.  You would have used it all up.

However, given large enough media, the os9 device descriptor's offset
values can just as easily be set to be started at the next sector after
the end of a 256 disk basic usage area.

Other than an overflow in those 3 bytes that address the first sector of
an os9 image, there is absolutely no reason it can't be done. I believe
that "overflow" would occurr, and wrap back to sector zero at anytime
your offset into an os9 image + this basic offset value totalled more
than 4,294,967,040 bytes. In 131 meg hunks, using it all for os9 will
need more descriptors than os9 can load. So I have one of my 2 1Gb scsi
drives, using a cluster size of 4, which gives me just under 500 megs,
with a 256 disk rsdos image stacked on top of that, so I could, but
haven't done it permanently, put a second os9 partition at the end of
the rsdos area, and have another partition and backup copy of the first
one there.

OTOH if the drive fails, the images are both gone, so the 2nd of those
1Gb drives is fully formatted for os9, and is using a cluster size of
$10, or 16 in decimal.  And I dsave the first drive to the second about
monthly when its up and running.  And reverse the dsave occasionally
just for practice.

> Even with 198 disk images, your OS9 partition will be very
> small, you may want to go down to 128 disk images if you plan to use
> OS9. I haven't ever messed with the CF card adapter, so I don't really
> know that much of how it's used (I use a real IDE drive). I would
> assume larger cards would allow larger partitions. I'm used to doing
> all this with the DW4 version of hdbdos and using 256 disk images, but
> I would think it all works the same.

Get bigger cf cards... I have several, the smallest of which is 256 megs
& there are some 512 meggers in that box too. I haven't a clue how big
you can get them now as the appliance they were used in here failed
several years back so I've not actively looked to see how big they are
today.

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)