[Coco] ROM Options for Glenside IDE, and a 3D-Printed Case

Daniel Campos daniel.campus at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 07:09:10 EDT 2016

Mark,

> I built hdblba.rom from the toolshed source, burned it to an EPROM, and
> tried it out with my Glenside Barge. Works like a champ! Using a 64M CF
> card, PRINT PEEK(&H150) reports 198 disks, which seems to be around the
> right number. I was able to DSKINI disks, load and save files, and autoexec
> my Standard Basic Diagnostic Utility:
>
>   10 PRINT "BUTTS! ";
>   20 GOTO 10
>
> I also tried dd'ing that MiniIDE image to the CF card, and that did not
> produce results that HDB-DOS could make any sense of. Maybe there's a
> version/format incompatibility? The Contents.txt file referred to HDB-DOS
> and Nitros-9 partitions, but I didn't see any reference to partitioning in
> the HDB-DOS user manual, so I wonder if the MiniIDE image uses a
> partitioning scheme that the HDB-DOS from toolshed doesn't understand.

Make sure the jumper on the Glenside is on the "50" position and make the
modifications into your HDB-DOS LBA ROM to be on that address. Or you can
download and burn into a EPROM the ROM that we used for MiniIDE (link
bellow).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-L-K9OlVdmpTFlyeU5wNTRleGs

> Actually, I just dd'ed the first 64M of the larger image over to the CF
> card, since I was using a mere 64M card. Based on the tech description in
> the HDB-DOS user manual, I expected that to work ok for the first 198 or so
> floppy images, and fail if I tried to access the following images. But
> maybe I am mistaken about that.

If everything is working as it should, you will be directed to the Boot
Menu to choose from the starting options. I suggest SIDEKICK that is an
excelent form to browse through the image disks. Here are some photos with
everything working...

https://goo.gl/photos/nUB8G1c2zLSQ253X6

> I'm happy that it works. I haven't tried plugging in a floppy controller
> yet, because I was too lazy to either drag out the MPI or pop open the
> floppy controller to pull out the Disk Basic ROM for use in the Glenside's
> Y cable sockets.
>
> I keep having a recurring urge to redesign the Glenside IDE card into a
> CF-only adapter with a ROM, fitting into a Program-Pak-sized cart. But I
> think I should instead make something more ambitious than a mere Glenside
> IDE form factor shrink.

That is exactly the intent when we make the MiniIDE in Brazil. A Glenside
type IDE but in a very small form factor. Some MiniIDE photos bellow for
comparisson..

https://goo.gl/photos/6z52wSHyeG5kkXuU7