[Coco] WTB Orchestra 90 cartridge

Jayeson Lee-Steere cocolistemail at titaniumstudios.com
Mon Aug 1 03:44:31 EDT 2016

On audio, there are a lot of options about which caps are appropriate for
audio, but all references I have seen say that ceramics are not an
appropriate choice in the audio path. Given their strong piezoelectric
properties, it is not clear to me what are appropriate uses for the
recently available, high value MLCC ceramic caps. Too bad, because they are
smaller and less costly than tantalum.

This reference on audio caps seems fairly balanced:
http://sound.westhost.com/articles/capacitors.htm

Film capacitors are the thing to use where practical. It would seem some
film types are better than others, but for this use, polyester would be
more than sufficient. That is probably what the small value caps are in the
original Orch 90. Next down the line are electrolytics, which are
apparently fine for audio coupling if an appropriately large value is used.

Jayeson