[Coco] How to import source code into NitrOS-9?

Stephen Pereira spereira1952 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 9 16:47:38 EDT 2015

Hi Bill,

Thank you *very* much for the details that you have provided me on my issue with the ‘dw’ command.

You are remembering my previous situation with a real physical CoCo 3.  I recently decided to go all in with the CoCo3FPGA unit.

This new situation presents a bit of an issue for me.  I am using a NitrOS-9 boot disk provided by Gary Becker that works on the CoCo3FPGA.  When I did the MDIR, as you requested, I get a nice listing of all the modules installed, and, of course, none of the scdwv, N or N1 are installed for me.  I am very uncertain about my ability to create an entirely new boot disk, so I am attracted to your “quick and dirty” way.

It appears to me from your instructions that the method you describe starts with a new boot disk, and merges the three files in question from places they reside way down in the …/scf subdirectory up into the /DD/CMDS subdirectory as one scdwv file.

So, I went looking on my existing boot disk from Gary, and, yes, those files are there down in the …/scf subdirectory.

So, I then entered your lengthy merge command on my own boot disk…  yes!  the merge command worked.  I can now see a file called scdwv in my /DD/CMDS subdirectory.

When I move on and try LOAD SCDWV, I get an ERROR 214.  I don’t have permission to do this.

When I type ATTR /DD/CMDS/SCDWV, I get:  ----r-wr

I tried: ATTR /DD/CMDS/SCDWV PERM R W E and that command returned the same ----r-wr.  And the LOAD SCDWV still generates an ERROR 214.

I am not completely certain I’m doing this right.  What should be the proper ATTR command to fix the permissions so I can LOAD SCDWV and LINK SCDWV?

Thanks a million for all your attention and advice.

smp
--
Stephen M. Pereira
Bedford, NH  03110