[Coco] OT: Upgrade to WIndows 10?

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 29 22:15:57 EST 2015

Art, it sounds like a horror movie.  Something went terribly wrong.  Have
you tried to call Microsoft yet?

In summary, it took my upgrade from 8.1 to 10 three hours.  One hour of
downloading before the first reboot.  Then two more hours and several
reboots.  My Win 10 home screen came up exactly like it was on Win 8.1 (all
application icons were there and in the exact same locations), except for
two items.  IE was no longer there (searched for it and pinned it to the
task bar), and the addition of some search engine called Cortana.  I think
if I had a mic attached to my PC, then Cortana would listen to my verbal
commands, but I don't.  Bottom line, everything worked great.  I can't
imagine what got screwed up for your installation.

Was the timing similar for you?  Did you see any warnings along the way?
Did you need to interact at all until the installation was complete?  I
think there is a reverse function to restore your PC just like it was before
the upgrade.  You might want to look into that, because something horribly
wrong happened for you.  In fact, most of the people I talked to seem to
think MS had solved almost all of the terrible installs.  A few months ago,
one friend saw one of his computers start an infinite looping of reboots.
He said that was fixed a few weeks later with his second computer.

Makes me think that there is something oddly unique about your PC that the
Windows upgrade didn't anticipate.  Maybe a brief power failure?  How new is
it?  Was Win 8.1 native, or had it been upgraded from an earlier Windows?
I'm just throwing out some ideas, but I don't know how to solve the problem
if any of these happened.  But maybe MS would know what happened.

Yikes!!  Look into that uninstall option, and give MS a call.

Let me know what happens.