[Coco] .BIN re constructor tool - concept.

chadbh74 chadbh74 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 24 03:17:43 EST 2015

   In light of my recent success with getting .BIN files banked in on my
   CoCo EEPROM pak, but shortcomings with some programs such as MindRoll
   and Super Pitfall that won't load, I've just had a brainstorm on a
   possible solution that might help fix these and other programs.

   The idea I have is to create a tool, a re constructor, that will start
   off with a virtual memory image, say 64K in size which represents the
   CoCo memory space.  Then you can load in a .BIN, or consecutive .BINs,
   and generate a new .BIN from the data loaded, utilizing the execution
   address of one of the source .BINs or your own address.  Also, it could
   export/import the memory map in its 64k entirety for manual browsing
   and editing in your favorite hex editor.   (Unless I built in such a
   hex editor).  I think this might be a good tool for fixing MindRoll
   since the .DSK image .BIn files load consecutively and move data around
   before final execution. I haven't yet checked more into Super Pitfall
   for any previous workarounds out there.  I'm sure there will be games
   that cannot be fixed in this manner without some code changes in the
   game if they were using tricky hardware banking in the original Pak's.
   I would welcome any ideas or suggestions on this line of thought.

   -Chad H

   https://sites.google.com/site/cbhlab101