[Coco] Supercomm fails to load on NitrOS9 lvl 2 on my CoCo 3 with 128K, and a couple of other questions?

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Nov 3 17:14:35 EST 2015

Ryan J R Pritchard via Coco wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It seems perhaps supercomm has higher memory requirements than my CoCo 3 with 128K, running on NitrOS9 LvL 2 (via DriveWire) can provide.  Does anyone have confirmation on the memory requirements for supercomm?
>
><snip>
> Regards,
>
> Ryan Pritchard
> F.E.A.B.L.E. - Fun Extends All Basic Life Expectancies

There seems to have been some unwarranted assumptions made in this long thread
about supercomm. I can't run a test with a 128K Coco3 but made the following
test and supercomm did run.

1) Modified the dw.bl script on a DW_Becker system disk to use dwio_becker.sb
and include sc6551.dr and t2_sc6551.dd. Modified the mb.dw script to use the
boot_dw_becker module.
2) Created a new DW_Becker boot disk and mounted it on DW4 drive0. Supercomm was
added to the CMDS directory.
3) Started a version of MESS with the Becker modification and a Becker HDBDOS ROM.
4) Booted the new version of NitrOS-9 with MESS coco3 emulation using 128K memory.
5) Started supercomm which gave the normal startup screen and then quite with a
246 error.

Error 246 is device not ready. That is not a surprise as there is no RS-232
emulation in MESS. Nevertheless this indicates that you should be able to use a
128K Coco3 with an RS232 pak connected to Drivewire to boot NitrOS-9 and run
supercomm.

Robert

PS You can't run this test with VCC as it will crash.