[Coco] Supercomm fails to load on NitrOS9 lvl 2 on my CoCo 3 with 128K, and a couple of other questions?

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Nov 1 22:13:08 EST 2015

On Sunday 01 November 2015 19:53:24 Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:

> Gene, I understand what the problem is, but as to how to fix it, I'm
> not a systems programmer. I have played around with it some, but like
> you and Bill Noble, I can't get past the "sub-modules" where
> everything is split into two modules.

 That is problem #2 to be solved when needed.  Problem #1 is the nitro
module doesn't do about 2/3rds of what its supposed to be doing, so
thats the #1 fix.  With that working, it should be able to boot w/o the
dw stuff.  Then, figure out what to do about the dw things.

One step at a time.

Some of our problem is likely the defs files we have. I've only played
with one of those, I found an off by one in the bit position logic in
L.51.defs and fixed that, what? 15 years back up the log?  Maybe more,
when I wrote the serial mouse driver in frustration because the normal
mouse driver has a random noise generator in it.  With the serial mouse,
you get a button click exactly on the point of the arrow, not someplace
up to 1/2" away.  Editing a multivue icon was suddenly a pleasure
instead of one of those Excedrin headaches we're so fond of hanging a
huge number on.

os9.d is either deficient, or there are unpublished details for system
memory usage in the remainder of the 8k block the DP is in.  It could be
there, but finding "unused" memory in there so the memory mapping for
level 3 doesn't step on other toes, or vice versa.  I have been
intending to turn on the listing, and assembling those defs just to make
free memory hold up its hand & wave at me.

But my main interest these days is in CNC machinery, and the kilobucks
worth of Mahogany I am climbing over, around & even under in the garage
in the process of becoming furniture for my remaining 4 children, a
parting gift I guess since I'm now 81 yo, and now know I will not,
contrary to what I thought 60 years ago, live forever.  The tool
changing hassle in the mill has got me designing an Automatic Tool
Changer. I am spending as much time changing cutting tools as I am
carving wood.  ATC's aren't normally seen until the hang tag says
something north of 40 grand.  Sometimes waaayy north.  Above a million.

> In the case of DW4, it's split
> into 3 parts... rbdw wich belongs in the rbf section, and scdwv which
> belongs in the scf section, which is fine, except they both use dwio
> which is mainly rbf by use, but scf in actual operation, so it cant be
> put into either catagory. My thoughts were what if we combined rbdw
> with dwio, and a seperate module with scdwv and dwio, then each would
> have their own io section in the rbf and scf areas. My problem, is I
> don't know enough about the way the system works to combine them
> effectivly so it would work. We run into the same problems with the
> split "super drivers", and a couple of others, but I think they will
> all combine back to their origianl forms, but a driver for each drive
> system would have to be built. Dw4 was designed from the ground up as
> seperate modules.
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Charlie stole the handle, and the train it won't stop going, no way
> to slow down!" - Ian Anderson - Jethro Tull

> Global Moderator for TRS-80/Tandy Color Computer Forums
> http://www.tandycoco.com/forum/
>
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)