[Coco] Its about that day again (soldering)

Zippster zippster278 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 26 10:33:52 EST 2015

My 2¢ on soldering…..  :)

Hotter with less dwell time is the way to go.  Low wattage irons
end up heating the components MUCH more.  And for some things
they’ll never generate enough heat to keep up with dissipation,
large ground plane sections for instance.

One thing I would suggest also is to try a chisel shaped tip on
your soldering iron (2.4mm or so for most stuff).  These give much
better control when applying heat to pads and leads than the
common conical tips on both through-hole and SMT parts.

If you’re going to solder on a regular basis or do more than a few boards,
get a temp controlled iron.  Chinese units (with hot air wand too) are
available cheaply all over eBay.  This will give you more control over
temperature.

Getting good results boils down to being able to control the temperature,
controlling heat transfer, and the proper use of flux.

Get some flux in the syringe type dispenser, something like Amtech 4300
to keep next to you when working.  This is very useful on through-hole
components, and absolutely necessary for any SMT work.

- Ed