[Coco] Its about that day again

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Fri Dec 25 22:37:52 EST 2015

On Friday 25 December 2015 21:32:56 Richard E. Crislip wrote:

> <snip>
>
> > So its pretty quiet here ATM.  Waiting on Chinese parts for some
> > control improvements on my new mill & trying to get my air brush
> > technique back in tune for applying a slightly thinned teak oil on
> > some mahogany blanket chests I'm making for my remaining boys.
>
> <snip>
>
> You should see the mess I make trying to learn to solder 8-). Two
> steps forward and one back. Every time I think I'm getting the hang of
> it, i.e. a success, the one step back occurs... as in failure or
> horrendous looking soler joint. I'm not bad with a benzamatic torch, I
> can run that solder every which but loose. Circuit board scream in
> terror when I get near one of those with the torch 8-).

A bernzomatic on a PCB?  I can hear it screaming from here! Get a decent,
grounded, temp controlled iron.  I've got about a $90 bill in my last
one, an (mumble) 852-D I got through amazon.  Has a hot air rework wand
and a separately controlled iron, and has done everything I've asked it
to do for the last year+.  Heck, its even out of warranty and still
working!

But be aware that this new lead free silver bearing solder takes 375C+ to
work it, a good 50C hotter than the usual eutectic grade.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)