[Coco] How to create an 80 track 2 sided disk with SDC

Barry Nelson barry.nelson at amobiledevice.com
Thu Dec 17 21:29:53 EST 2015

SDC-DOS may not access a double sided disk, or access more than 80 tracks, but ADOS will, or RSDOS with the proper patches. So you could load ADOS (or ADOS3 if this is for a CoCo 3) into one of the other flash banks on the CoCo SDC, say bank 3 for instance, then after you mount the disks in SDC-DOS, switch to ADOS like this…

DRIVE 0,"BIGDISK.DSK"
RUN @3

Even ADOS will not access all of a 80 track double sided disk at one time, but it will access 80 tracks on one side, and assign the second side to another drive number. Since the SDC emulates the CoCo floppy controller including the side select line since it needs that for OS9, I think this should work. You could get 4 virtual disks of 80 tracks mounted this way by using SDC disks 0 and 1. Be care to never write to these disks under SDC-DOS or RSDOS or else, poof goes your data.