[Coco] How to create an 80 track 2 sided disk with SDC

Darren A mechacoco at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:52:10 EST 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 2:30 PM, Nick Marentes wrote:

> Up until now I have been using the standard default DSK format with my
> CoCoSDC (40 track single sided).
>
> How can I create an 80 track double sided DSK file on the SDC?
>
> I know about using the DRIVE 0,"NEWDISK",NEW command but how do I speciofy
> an 80 track double sided drive?
>
> Nick

SDC-DOS will not access the 2nd side of a double-sided DSK image. The trick
used in DECB for floppy disks (patching the drive selects table) will not
work.

If you just want to create an 80 track, double-sided image for use with
OS-9, you can try the following commands:

DRIVE 1, "NEWDISK.DSK", NEW
DRIVE 1, 4
DSKO$ 1,19,18,"",""
DRIVE 1,UNLOAD

All this does is enlarge the size of the DSK file to hold 2880 sectors (2
sides * 80 tracks * 18 sectors-per-track).

- Darren