[Coco] Homebrew CoCo Games

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Sat Dec 12 00:20:05 EST 2015

On 12/12/2015 2:22 PM, RETRO Innovations wrote:
> On 12/11/2015 7:54 PM, Mathieu Chouinard wrote:
>> Why am I dreaming of a "super" cocosdc with the AY(3)8910 in it ...
> Just synthesized a 512kB FLASH cart with a smaller cpld on it.  8 IO
> pins left...
>
> But, egad, what a nasty IO integration on that 38910.  multiplexed
> address/data bus.  That takes at least 10 pins.  Sigh.  I might be able
> to free 2 more up, if I ditch the LED and the second switch.
>
> Is there a Coco hookup diagram for that IC somewhere, or some 8-bitter
> schematic?
>
> JIm

I was thinking more of a SN76489 which is essentially a smaller version
of the GI chip minus the I/O.

My "vision" for a SuperRom Pac is a bit more conservative.

I basically just see it as a 64K Eprom with software selectable 8K banks
mapped to the CoCo and a SN76489 chip interfaced for sound.

The board would be as low cost and simple as possible wih the sound chip
available as an option.

The goal is to have a PCB that could be put into the ROM pak cart that a
software developer could buirn/write his game to with the option to
support hardware sound if they wish.

The key is to encourage software development for the CoCo again by
providing a reliable, economical and secure way of distributing their code.

That's my take on it but the general audience may have a different view.

Nick