[Coco] SuperPak Cartridge... coming soon.

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 10 18:44:40 EST 2015

On 11/12/2015 10:02 AM, Zippster wrote:

>> On Dec 10, 2015, at 4:43 PM, Nick Marentes <nickma at optusnet.com.au>
>> wrote:

>> So factor in postage costs and a bit of profit to make it all seem
>> worthwhile... a game could end up costing $45-$50.
>>
>> Gee, it better be a good game.

I don't think that's an unreasonable price, and certainly not on the
upper end of the scale for cartridge releases for other systems.

Take a look at homebrew cartridges for Atari, Colecovision, Vectrex etc
and you'll see prices ranging from $20 up to $70 and more.

And if you really want a shock, check out the prices on new-release
games for the Dreamcast (CD) and the Neo Geo (cartridge) by NGDEV - and
they _always_ sell out I might add!

In any case, I'm not looking to make any money if/when I release a
cartridge - happy to break even because I do it purely for the fun of
it. If I do a cartridge, it'll effectively be a multi-cart anyway, so
people can add their own (or my future releases) to it.

On that note, I'm currently working on another port to Coco3, much like
I did for Lode Runner, from another classic machine (not the Apple this
time). But it's very early days yet - despite having spent several
months on it already - and I'm still a way off even writing the first
6809 instruction.

The imminent availability of the cases has spurred me on to my dream of
doing a cartridge release for Lode Runner. It's a shame it's
all-but-finished but no-one can play more than a handful of screens atm.
In February my son is due to start day care and in March I'm scaling
back work from 5 days/wk to 3/4 (that's the current plan anyway) so I
should have a decent block of time to dedicate to my retro hobbies.
Note: plural!

Regards,