[Coco] Swift

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 15:08:14 EST 2015

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 2:20 PM, Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
> Now, to swing this back to the CoCo:
>
> Since Swift is now open source and Apple has released a compiler for Ubuntu, I expect we’ll see ports to Android, Windows, etc. Having one language which works in all of the above cases that I just mentioned AND can retarget to multiple major platforms is huge. Java does this, but it’s unwieldy JVM requirement makes it difficult. I think Swift can do this much more elegantly.

As far as I can see (I would be delighted to be mistaken) only the
compiler and base libraries are ported to Linux, so you can either
cross-develop for Apple products or build native command-line
applications. If there would be e.g. libraries for building
multi-platform GUI/whatnot applications (like you can do on Java) it
would be fantastic.

BTW, searching "apple swift ubuntu" found this nice video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOepDYkDON0

Tormod