[Coco] CoCo 2 with Random Characters on Screen at Power Up

Arthur Flexser flexser at fiu.edu
Mon Jan 27 02:52:29 EST 2014

The fact that it works for 10 seconds suggests the possibility that
something is overheating.  Especially since it only takes 1 second if you
try again immediately afterwards.  Possibly that 6821 PIA chip that isn't
socketed may be the culprit.
(I base that on having once encountered an equivalent chip in a
Commodore-64 that had an overheating problem that crashed the machine after
a few seconds of normal operation.)   Are any of the chips particularly hot
to the touch?

If one of the chips seems suspiciously warm, try putting a couple of ice
cubes in a plastic bag and hold them against the suspect chip.  Does this
lengthen the interval before the crash occurs?  If so, I'd say you've found
the guilty chip.

Art